"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." -William Wordsworth

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Will I play the Wild Rover, no never! No more!

"And it's no, nay! Never! No, nay never, no more! Will I play the Wild Rover. No never! No more!"

Posted below is an Irish folk song I've had the pleasure of learning with my fellow travelers. The plan is we are going to walk around Dublin, Ireland singing and harmonizing with each other as we travel and completely submerge ourselves in the Irish culture. A few words about the Irish:
The Irish love strong tradition. The country is full of them! From their meat and potato-based food to wearing green on St. Patrick's day, they hold strong traditional ties to the past. Another huge part of their tradition is, you could have probably guessed this, their music and dancing. The Irish love a good party that involves their traditional highland dancing and Scottish country dancing, usually accompanied by an upbeat fiddle, the Lambeg drum, and fiddle. The pubs in Ireland are the heart of these parties as the Irish drink, sing, and banter with one another. Lastly, about Irish culture, the Irish will conjure up any excuse to be merry and dance, so festivals and fairs are a constant factor in Celtic life.

How very excited I am to meet these wonderful and vivacious people! My plan is to completely commit myself to the culture and become a Dubliner as soon as I step off the plane into the beautiful and green Ireland. I will get to sing and dance with the people, and maybe even catch a festival! I'm only a little excited... maybe a lot.


<br>
Facts retrieved from: http://www.discoverireland.com/us/about-ireland/culture/

No comments:

Post a Comment