"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." -William Wordsworth

Monday, August 19, 2013

Bleak House, by Charles Dickens

Recently I've studied the book Bleak House, by Charles Dickens for some school work before I leave on my trip. I would recommend watching the BBC 2005 version on Netflix to anyone. It is an 8-episode series full of mystery as viewers are pulled into Dickens' London and follow the story of a young orphan Esther who's roots are found through scandal and blackmail. In my assignment, I was asked to write a short essay in general about the story. My short essay will answer my feelings about Charles Dickens and his work, some themes I found in Bleak House, and how studying it will enhance my experience in London. If you are unfamiliar with the story and want to read a synopsis, the link is posted following. I would hate to be the spoiling culprit.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/bleakhouse/summary.html

After studying the story Bleak House, by Charles Dickens, I have come to learn many things; I have gained feelings and perspectives of the type of writer he is, have found many literature themes in this particular story, and have reflected on how my experience in the UK will be improved by reading his works. Charles Dickens continues to fascinate me with his style of writing and his stories. He is unique in his manner of writing and how he presents a 19th century London. As true to his reputation, Charles Dickens presents a darker, grittier, and dirtier London. I think this factor is most manifest in his characters as he describes their filth, mannerisms, and linguistics. He draws a clear line for readers on the difference in class in a 19th century England and how class affected everything about a person’s destiny in that time period. Another thing I love about Dickens is his wit! Now his works are a tough read, but if a reader pays attention closely to the words, they can pick up on the settle humor and wittiness of the way he writes and describes such things. One more thing I love about Charles Dickens is the characters he creates. First, the names he creates; he names his characters in reflection of how that character reacts and their mannerisms. Using Bleak House as an example: the most ridiculous and spastic character in the book is named Mr. Guppy, the most tortured and fatal character is named Mrs. Dedlock, and the sneakiest and troublesome character is called Mr. Krook. Dickens’ names give readers a chance to foreshadow and make connections about the characters like no other author. I also love the number of characters he creates in his stories and how they somehow all connect to each other by the time the plot is resolved. By diving into his work this summer, I can honorably say I am a Charles Dickens fan now.

Bleak House was a very interesting story line for me and quite recreational to reflect on. There were many themes I observed from the story. I observed the theme of death versus living in scandal. Lady Dedlock lived her whole life with the scandal of her secret affair and child with Captain Nemo in youthful years and she had to decide if it was better to live her life in blackmail and fear of what society would name her or if death was the easier road. She chose death and her husband Sir Leicester leaves us readers heartbroken when he reveals at her grave that he wished she would’ve known how much he would have still loved her no matter what the world thought of her. Another theme I noticed was the idea of debt leading to madness. This book was full of debts on the hands of all the characters and how those unpaid debts and empty expectations of money lead them all to destruction. A third theme I saw was the difference between loving someone and being truly in love with them. In the story, Mr. Jarndyce proposed to Esther and believed they could begin a marriage despite their drastic age difference. Esther fell for a young doctor Mr. Woodcourt but believed his commitment to her to be indifferent because of his duties to travel away for some time. Because of this, she accepted and convinced herself to be in love with Jarndyce because of her gratitude and caring for him as her guardian. Woodcourt comes back and as their feelings rekindle, Woodcourt proposes to Esther but Esther claims that she is “not free to love him.” Jarndyce, realizing Esther’s unhappiness and love for Woodcourt, sets her free with a house for her and Woodcourt to stay in when married and he gives her away at her wedding. In my own words, I would say Esther realized the importance of not giving herself to someone unless it was true, passionate, and undying love that would make her happy for the rest of her life.

I believe any Dickens book would enhance my experience in London because that’s where Dickens lived and wrote tales of. He shows a different side of London then what I’ve ever read before from any other authors and he gives me a different perspective. Like all good writers, it’s important to see and witness all different viewpoints and styles before I create something of my own. Dickens teaches a lot through his writing, which is important for me to know the history of a city or place before I adventure it on my own. Reading literature and watching films about England will prepare my mind to grow as I expand that knowledge I already have. This way, I can be prepared to have a foundation of knowledge before I add to it by traveling and studying. By creating this foundation, making experiences, and allowing my mind and heart to grow, I hearken to Dickens words which read: “There is wisdom of the head, and wisdom of the heart.”

1 comment:

  1. Great insights melly! I'm so glad that I was the one that introduced you to the world of british lit (or movie british lit) :)

    ReplyDelete