"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." -William Wordsworth

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Journey

I would like to bring attention to the fact that I leave on a plane for Dublin, Ireland in exactly two weeks!!

I can hardly even believe how quickly the time has gone by. A year ago, leaving on this trip was merely a speculation and discussion point of how to afford the trip, how to prepare, and if it was worth going. In January, almost 8 months ago, I was accepted into the program. In these past 8 months, there have been many trials regarding funds for the trip, many times I've questioned myself, and many things to buy, prepare, and think about before leaving. And now here I am, two weeks away, ready to go! Ready to adventure. Through my preparations I have completed many assignments (only two left), have learned songs, have written my own works, and have set goals. It truly has been a journey for me, and makes me excited to have the experiences I will have and to move forward with my life.

As far as way of communications on the trip, I've been getting a lot of questions. Here is where I stand when I leave in two weeks: Phone use will be extremely limited. I'm not planning to text or call anyone while out in England. I'm using this trip as a way to explore externally and internally and distractions need to be at the minimum. My family and friends can always leave Facebook messages or text message or voicemails that will be waiting for me when I return but as far as communication on the trip, it will strictly be limited to sending my parents an email in the places I do have wifi. In the wifi places, I might post an occasional picture on Instagram or Facebook, but I will have to see when I'm actually at that point. As for this blog, I will be taking a three week break, then when I get back my readers can expect lots of blog posts and very fun pictures. For anyone that has read my itinerary, we are on a pretty tight schedule, so I think my choice in this is understood and respectable. I want to also thank my friends and family for understanding and their constant support. Most importantly, I want to thank my parents for their aide in helping me go on this trip. I've worked a lot this past year and summer, but I absolutely know I would not have been able to do it without them.

For clarification: I leave for Salt Lake City September 10th, Leave for Dublin, Ireland September 11th, Fly into Salt Lake City October 3rd, return home October 4th.

My itinerary is posted here: http://melaniewalkerenglishliterature.blogspot.com/2013/07/itinerary.html

You can expect quite a few more posts in the next two weeks of assignments and my thoughts.

Now that the technicalities are done, I just want to leave with a short testimonial of traveling and English Literature. My whole goal in life is to live my passions and share what I love with others. That is the main reason I am becoming an English Lit teacher because I know the power that literature can have in a person's life and how language and writing are the cornerstone in every culture. Where would we be without poetry or stories? Where would English Literature be if a simple "Beowulf" wasn't written on a shard piece of Old English parchment to be found by scholars and linguists? Language and writing affects every aspect of our lives and I want to teach others the significance of it when I'm finished in my studies. I'm so excited to travel and expand that knowledge I have of English Literature. I walk the path of Dickens, Wordsworth, Austen, and many others and breathe the same air they have. I can see the places of those who have gone before me, as well as find hidden treasures of my own. It is such an honor for me to have the opportunity to travel, to marvel at something, to adore and implore. With my personality, everything I do, I do it full force and completely in it 100%. I'm ready to take on the British Iles at full speed with my heart and soul committed in every way to this trip. I'm ready to adventure. I'm ready to journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment